PRESSE RELEASE No 001/2016
1. The Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic acknowledges good reception of correspondences from the following employees’ unions and unions’ confederations : COSYBU, SYTRATHE, STUB, SLTR, etc.
2. Their concerns follow the measure taken by the Government of Burundi related to granting a salary disparities adjustment allowance and freezing of annual allowances and bonuses as part of its social equity policy that implies national solidarity.
3. It should be noted that received complaints are mostly from the self-managed public institutions, public Institutions with an Administrative status, and Companies with public shares.
4. The Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic recall that the Government of Burundi has, since 2005, taken productive measures for the improvement of the civil servants’ status. It should be mentioned for example the openness to social dialogue responsibly requested by teachers and accepted by the Government, the improvement of the status of judges and staff of the Ministry of Public Health, the 34% salary increase granted by the Head of State on the eve of the 2007 International Labour Day, and the Government’s commitment to make available $ 80 billion BIF, and put it in the Finance Act for 4 years, releasing 20 billion BIF per year from 2016, in order to reduce the salary discrepancies and thereby harmonize them.
5. The Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic would like to take this opportunity to reassure employees of the aforementioned institutions that the measure taken by the Government is to guarantee social equity and solidarity to all Burundians without any discrimination.
6. Therefore, the Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic has set up an inter-ministerial reflection and proposals team in order to respond effectively to the expressed concerns.
7. The Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic requests the responsible officials to suspend the granting of the above benefits while waiting for the outcome of the dialogue to be organized by the National Social Dialogue Committee on the report from the inter-ministerial team already in place.
8. The Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic invites all those who expressed their grievances to wait with serenity for the follow up given to this matter and continue to believe in the sincerity and strength of dialogue.
Press and Communication Unity
Office of the Second Vice-President of the Republic